Monday, March 16, 2009

Pigs in the Mud

I got so excited yesterday when I went into the attic and pulled out my "spring" and "farm" boxes! It was like Christmas all over again. I haven't looked in the boxes for a year and I had forgot what was inside! One of my favorite centers is "Pigs in the Mud." I found little piggies at the dollar store years ago. I make "mud" from my favorite play dough recipe that I got at a conference about eight years ago. I love to use my liquid watercolors to color my play dough because the colors can be so vibrant and beautiful. But you can use food coloring and it will do the trick just fine!

This recipe was given freely without copy right. Heidi Stalder from Lane Community College compiled Magic Mixtures - Recipes for Fun and Learning. She believed that all should gain from her work... there are so many good recipes! I am sure I will be sharing more as time goes by.

Sauce Pan Play Dough

This play dough is quick and easy to make. It is smooth and requires no kneading. It makes a small quantity and may be doubled or tripled but it can be hard to stir.
1 Tbs. oil (I use baby oil)
1 cup water
1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1 Tbs. vanilla
1 tsp. alum
a few drops of food coloring

Process: Mix dry ingredients in a sauce pan. Add food coloring, water, oil, and vanilla. Mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it reaches the consistency of mashed potatoes (really!). As it is cooking the mixture will change from a milky color to a translucent color. Remove from heat. Let it cool for a minute. Roll to form a ball. Cool. Store in a sealed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin