Thursday, March 19, 2009

Purple Cows

I love to incorporate poetry in my curriculum when I can. The poem The Purple Cow is funny and makes a child "think again."

The Purple Cow
I never saw a Purple Cow,
I never hope to see one;
But I can tell you, anyhow,
I'd rather see than be one.
by Gelett Burgess
Treats in the classroom are fun and rare. When we read this poem I always make sure we make Purple Cows afterwards!
Supplies: small cup, spoon, vanilla ice cream, and grape soda
Process: Put a scoop of ice cream in the cup. Have the soda in a pourable measuring cup. Have the children pour their own soda into their cup. Drink and enjoy!
Teach Well: Give the children small cups and spoons to help scoop out the ice cream from the bottom of their cups. About 30 percent of the children will have the experience and decide that they don't like it. That's OK! It's about having an experience and trying something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin